Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Rudder numbers  

(@gianlum-ita)
Active Member National Representative
12/03/2018 9:47 pm  

Background: rule 4.2 state (among other things) that the rudder (the only one, as I understand) shall be located on the center line of the hull. 

Why not to allow the use of more (two) rudders, which can or cannot be located on the centerline of the hull ?

This would allow the design of hulls like the VOR (which in my opinion are beautiful) or a hull with a aft and a fore rudder (which can be controlled anyway with only one servo, so it is not a backdoor to my proposal to use up to 4 servos ;-) ).

Again, not sure about better performance, but only an option worth exploring.

bye
Gianluca

(@andrewc-aus)
Eminent Member National Representative
13/03/2018 9:45 pm  

sounds like a great idea after all we are an open development class!

ReplyQuote
(@andrewc-aus)
25/03/2018 11:48 pm  

personally I would like to see as a development class the ability to have more than one keel, canting keels, multiple rudders and other development characteristic allowing freedoms.

the definitions are always tricky,

on our canting keel boat we went deeply into the patents for cbtf (canting ballast twin rudder set up) , this is where the boat has no keel , merely a ballast strut that looks like a keel and can be used to cant a bulb side to side, then has an aft and forward rudder.

nothing in the rule says a ballast strut cannot be used.

nothing then limits a canting set up with the one allowed rudder and a forward canard for leeway resistance, if the forward board does not measure as a canard, call it the keel then!

but seriously, why not strip out the rule part about voids or concaves in the rule also?

take  Hydroptere  the foiling monohull that has twin sponsons on out riggers and foils around on boards mounted on them!

still a mono hull....

Make the rg65 the modelers, tinkerers open development class again so that new ideas can be tried and tested and maybe even proven!

ReplyQuote
(@pablob-arg)
26/03/2018 12:44 am  

Creo que liberar la cantidad y posición del timón es una buena posibilidad para el desarrollo y con un servo se puede hacer perfectamente.

I think that releasing the amount and position of the rudder is a good possibility for development and with a servo it can be done perfectly.

ReplyQuote
(@gianlum-ita)
15/04/2018 8:52 pm  
Posted by: Andrew Cook

on our canting keel boat we went deeply into the patents for cbtf (canting ballast twin rudder set up) , this is where the boat has no keel , merely a ballast strut that looks like a keel and can be used to cant a bulb side to side, then has an aft and forward rudder.

nothing in the rule says a ballast strut cannot be used.

True, but a ballast on a rc boat is way too difficult to use. Simply, I cannot see a method to do it reacting fast enough

nothing then limits a canting set up with the one allowed rudder and a forward canard for leeway resistance, if the forward board does not measure as a canard, call it the keel then!

but seriously, why not strip out the rule part about voids or concaves in the rule also?

take  Hydroptere  the foiling monohull that has twin sponsons on out riggers and foils around on boards mounted on them!

That sound tempting, but I think that with only two servo it will be way too difficult to control. But worth a try.

bye
Gianluca

ReplyQuote
(@andrewc-aus)
15/04/2018 11:46 pm  

Actually a canting keel set up at rc scale can be easily done to operate.

Many years ago before we made the real boat I did a rc canter, heres how.

1 rudder servo.

1 keel and sail servo, the swing arm on the servo has 2 ends.

one end goes aft on the centre line and is attatched to sheets.

other arm end goes forward to the head of the keel.

when the servo moves the keel head off the centre line the sheets are pulled in.

move the servo left and the keel cants to the left and sails pull in, downwind release the stick that still has the spring in it and goes side to side like a rudder stick, and then the keel centres and boom is full out.

for lighter weather , keel can be disconnected at the top so only sheets work, but canting boat to windward downwind like a dinghy works well.

Anyway it can be done with minimal weight increase and no more servos!

ReplyQuote
Share:

Visit us on Facebook: RG65 ICA